HOW TO START SOLO TRAVEL
“The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.” ― Lao Tzu
I am a big believer of baby steps, I recommend start small. By this I mean, pick a destination that you haven’t been to before but some where with in 2 hours of drive or fly time.
When you are picking a destination, think about things you like to do, e.g. visit museums or go to a musical or lay on the beach or go hiking etc
- Research the destination you have picked for your very first solo visit really well, check the government sites not just social media sites.
- Book your accommodation right in the middle of the city centre, this might be expensive but it is definitely worth it. You will get more of an experience, just walk out the lobby and you are there, where as if you book a cheaper place up town or down town or in the suburbs, you will find you are always in your hotel room.
- Educate yourself, Knowledge is power, learn local language, learn the culture, their clothing, food, wine etc …. respect is the key here
- Don’t leave home with out a Travel Insurance
- Write down the name and address of your hotel, when telling the Taxi Driver or Bus Driver show the address to confirm (especially if there is a language barrier)
- Always pack for all season, sun hat, sun cream, umbrella, rain jacket etc
- Make sure some one at home knows your itinerary and you hotel information
- When you are travelling solo, do not check in on Social media, telling people where you are can be dangerous
- Remember you do not go travelling to get exactly what you have at home, open mind is a must